Alappuzha commonly known as Alleppey is the sixth largest city in Kerala. It was called the “Venice of the East” by Lord Curzon. Alleppey is known for its canals, backwaters, beaches and lagoons. It lies along the Laccadive sea coast. Your trip to Kerala is incomplete without the stay in a houseboat in the backwaters of Alleppey. The backwaters of Kerala form an important tourist destination in India.
Alappuzha is also the access point for the annual Nehru Trophy Boat Race, held on the Punnamada Lake, near Alappuzha, on the second Saturday of August every year. This is the most competitive and popular of the boat races in India.
It is advisable to stay in a houseboat instead of a hotel in Alleppey.There are plenty of houseboats available in Alleppey. The houseboats have single or multiple rooms with a dining area and all the modern day amenities like television, music system etc. Lunch and dinner is served on the boat itself. Nothing can be better than watching the sunset from a houseboat in the backwaters of Kerala. A perfect setting for a honeymooning couple.
Houseboat: Stay in a houseboat in Alleppey is the major attraction in Kerala. The Backwaters of Kerala attract tourists from all over the world for their enchanting beauty. Renting a houseboat and spending time with your loved ones while the boat steers you through the backwaters and canals is a memorable experience. Away from the maddening of the cities this ride is sure to give you peace and ample time to soak in the beauty of the coconut trees lined along the backwaters of Kerala.
Alappuzha beach: Visit the Alappuzha beach to watch the sunset and take a walk along the beach. The pier here which extends into the sea is 137 years old.
Kayaking and Canoeing: Water sports like Kayaking and Canoeing can be done here in Alleppey.
- Air: The Cochin International Airport located at a distance of 75km. from Alleppey is the nearest Airport having connectivity to all the major cities in India.
- Train: Alappuzha Railway Station is linked by rail to cities like Trivandrum, Cochin, Coimbatore, Chennai, Delhi and Mumbai.
- Road: Alleppey is well connected by roads to all the cities in Kerala. However, it is advisable to cover Alleppey after Munnar or Thekkady.
Thiruvananthapuram or Trivandrum the land of Sree Anantha Padmanabhaswamy, is the capital city of Kerala. The city is surrounded by Tamil Nadu in the east whereas by Arabian Sea in the west.
Cochin, now known as Kochi has been of great importance since the historic times. It was a home for the Dutch who came to trade in India.
Munnar is a famous hill station in Kerala known for its breathtaking panoramic views of hills laden with tea plantations under blankets
Thekkady houses one of the finest wildlife sanctuaries in India – The Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary. Periyar is a Tiger Reserve with Bengal tigers
- State: Kerala
- District: Alappuzha
- Famous for/as: Backwaters
- Languages: Malayalam, English
- Best time to visit: September to March
- Weather: Summers 25 to 40°C, Winter 10 to 20°C
- Pincode: 688001
- STD code: 0477
- State Govt. tourism website: http://alappuzha.nic.in/general/tourism.htm