The name Lakshadweep in Sanskrit and Malayalam means “a hundred thousand islands” but these are essentially a group of 36 islands spread out in the Arabian sea along the west coast of India. Out of these 36 islands covering an area of 32 Sq. Km. only 10 islands are inhabited. If you are looking for a peaceful vacation away from the hustle and bustle of the cities then the sun-kissed beaches of Lakshadweep islands have a lot to offer. The white sand and clear green waters with coconut trees all around truly leave a long lasting impression on your memory. The abundance of a large variety of marine life makes it an ideal destination for water sports like scuba diving, snorkeling and kayaking. The picturesque landscapes leave you longing for more.
Agatti is considered as the gateway to Lakshadweep. Once you reach Agatti you can take a tour of the island. Learning about the lifestyle of the inhabitants of Lakshadweep is an enriching experience. This tour includes visit to the solar plant, fish breeding center, water purification plant, jetty and the lagoon beach. Lying on the white sand in the lagoon beach gazing at the stars above will rejuvenate your body and soul.
Scuba Diving is the major attraction in Lakshadweep owing to the clear water and abundant marine life. The shallow lagoons make it an ideal spot for diving enthusiasts. A large variety of fishes including Tuna, Triveli and Barracuda can be seen underwater with turtles swimming by. The islands which offer scuba diving facilities are Agatti, Kavaratti, Bangaram and Kadmat.
Snorkeling is a fun activity which involves floating on the surface of water with the help of wet suit, swim fins and a diving mask attached with a snorkel tube. Due to the clear visibility of the sea bed under water, snorkeling has emerged as the favourite sport with the tourists. Expertise in swimming is not required and the tourists can enjoy this sport at affordable prices.
What can be better than kayaking your way against the waves into the green waters of the Arabian sea! Kayak is a banana shaped boat in which the control of rowing lies in your hands. The thrill of riding the waves can be experienced at its best in these islands. Kayaking can be done in Agatti, Bangaram, Tinnakara, Kavaratti, Kadmat, Kalpeni and Minicoy.
These are specialized boats designed with glass at the bottom which gives the passenger a clear view of the aquatic life in the sea. Turtles and fishes can be seen swimming underneath while one enjoys the boat ride in the Arabian sea.
- Air: Lakshadweep is easily connected with flights on alternate days between Kochi and Agatti. Agatti houses the only Airport in Lakshadweep which has one of the most beautiful runways in the world. Air India is the only carrier available. Helicopter transfers are also available from Agatti to Kavaratti throughout the year.
- Water: Lakshadweep can be reached by sea-route with regular passenger ships plying from Kochi. These ships have all modern day amenities including fully furnished rooms with air conditioning, music system, television, entertainment area etc. Average travel time is 14-20hrs.
Thiruvananthapuram or Trivandrum the land of Sree Anantha Padmanabhaswamy, is the capital city of Kerala. The city is surrounded by Tamil Nadu in the east whereas by Arabian Sea in the west.
Cochin, now known as Kochi has been of great importance since the historic times. It was a home for the Dutch who came to trade in India.
Munnar is a famous hill station in Kerala known for its breathtaking panoramic views of hills laden with tea plantations under blankets
Thekkady houses one of the finest wildlife sanctuaries in India – The Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary. Periyar is a Tiger Reserve with Bengal tigers
- State: Lakshadweep
- District: Lakshadweep
- Famous for/as: Beaches, Adventure sports
- Population: 64,429 (100% Muslim Population)
- Languages: Malayalam (Mixed with Tamil and Arabic), Mahl, English
- Best time to visit: October – March
- Weather: Summer 22 to 33°C, Winter 20 to 32°C
- Pincode: 682555
- STD code: 04897
- State Govt. tourism website: http://lakshadweeptourism.nic.in/
- Permit Requirements: A tourist intending to visit Lakshadweep should obtain a prior permit exemption order for which he should apply in the prescribed form to the Secretary to the Administrator, Lakshadweep Office, Willington island, Kochi-3. He should carry the said order while visiting the islands and surrender it to Secretary to the Administrator, Kochi on return from tour. Police verification and character certificate are also required.