Puri is a coastal District on the eastern part of Odisha, India. This district is famous as the abode of Lord Vishnu, most popularly known as Lord Jagannath. The district derives its name from the heritage city of Puri, one of the four pilgrimage centres of India. The number of rivers flowing through the district helps in sustaining the agriculture. Being in close proximity to the Bay of Bengal, this district has tropical climate.
Handicraft and cottage industries of this district is very famous around the world, its original source being the temple craft of Lord Jagannath and the Sun Temple at Konark. The rich traditional culture and heritage of the District gives a boost to this industry. The important products of this industry are in applique, stone carving, patta chitra, wood carving, modern patch work, terracotta, bell metal, and sea shell items etc.
- Air: The nearest airport is Biju Patnaik airport at Bhubaneswar is the nearest airport to Puri, which is nearly 56 km away from the heart of the Puri city. The airport is connected to Delhi and Mumbai.
- Train: Puri is a major railway junction. Regular direct train services are available from Puri to many cities in India, including Bhubaneshwar, New Delhi, Chennai, Bangalore and Kolkata.
- Road: Puri is connected with all major cities in Odisha, There are frequent bus service offered by the Odisha road transport corporation from Bhubaneshwar, Cuttak and Konark.
- State: Odisha
- District: Puri
- Famous for/as: Religion
- Languages: Oriya, English, Hindi
- Best time to visit: October to March
- Weather: Summers 19 to 45°C, Winter 3 to 32°C
- Pincode: 75200x
- STD code: 06752
- State Govt. tourism website: http://www.ordistricts.nic.in/