Travel Guide to Bhubaneshwar
Bhubaneswar, the capital of Odisha, India, a Buddhists and Hindu pilgrimage destination is famous for its architecture and ancient temples. The 10th century Lingaraja temple, dedicated to Shiva. The surface of the 55 meter high Lingaraja temple is covered with carvings. The best times to visit are between October and March. This city is most renowned for changing the conqueror Asoka to the conquered.
The great War of Kalinga took place here between Emperor Asoka and empire of Kalinga (the old empire of Odisha). Asoka was overwhelmed at the gory of blood that flowed like a river. Asokan inscriptions still stand testimony for this. Other major cities near Bhubaneshwar are the holy city of Puri (Jagannath Temple) and Konark (Sun temple). The twin cave groups of Kandagiri and Udayagiri are evidence of the region’s antiquity, dating to the 2nd century BC or the early Jain monastery.
- Air: The Biju Patnaik airport at Bhubaneswar is nearly 5 km away from the heart of the city. The airport is connected to Delhi and Mumbai. International travelers need to get connections through Delhi.
- Train: Bhubaneswar railway station is about 6 km away from the city center. Bhubaneshwar is well-connected to the metro cities and also to other cities.
- Road: Bhubaneshwar is connected with Major National and State highways and the road conditions are pretty good to give the travelers a smooth and comfortable ride.
- State: Odisha
- District: Khurda
- Famous for/as: Heritage
- Languages: Oriya, English, Hindi
- Best time to visit: October to March
- Weather: Summers 19 to 45°C, Winter 7 to 32°C
- Pincode: 7510xx
- STD code: 0674
- State Govt. tourism website: http://www.odishatourism.gov.in/